Vital Signs Is Back on the Air!
Dear friends, July 2015
I’ve hustled to write this month’s letter and get it mailed out early because Claire and I will be taking off for Colorado on July 1. We will be there about 10 days combining family reunions, a spiritual retreat, and a bit of work. We will be taking “When Swing Was King” on the road once again, presenting it at two senior facilities in Longmont and another in Loveland. We will then head down to the home of my youngest brother Ric and his lovely wife Ellen in Lakewood for three days. Next, we have three days with just the two of us in Estes Park -- courtesy of a kind Christian couple who generously open their condo there to traveling ministers. And we finish up with three days in Aspen for a reunion with Claire’s side of the family before traveling back to Omaha.
We will also include time for prayer, reading, exercise, and appreciating the beauty of the mountains. It will also be nice to celebrate my 64th birthday there. I haven’t done that since I hitchhiked my way out of Colorado back in 1970.
So that’s what we will be doing in the next couple of weeks. But what about the things that have kept us spinning these last few days? Here’s a quick list:
* Claire’s arthritis required surgery on her right thumb a couple of days ago. After much prayer and second opinions, we opted for surgery to remove a cyst and implant a screw in her thumb. The doctors have explained that it will restrict the thumb’s movement but it should help alleviate some of the pain she has been having in her hand, wrist, and arm. Prayers are especially appreciated as Claire has the same problem beginning in her left hand.
* We have just finished the very detailed revisions on The Christmas Room, the novel about life in a nursing home I wrote this last year. We are now seeking a publisher. Again, we would appreciate your prayers.
* I was interviewed by a World-Herald reporter in a conversation that ranged over Planned Parenthood, sidewalk counseling, chemical abortion, and the gospel of Jesus Christ.
* I finished the revisions on the July “When Swing Was King” program and began a whole new volume which we will use for a special V-Day celebration we’re doing at Pacific Springs in August.
* Oh yes -- after an 11 years absence, Vital Signs is returning to radio! I have already written, timed, and recorded a month’s worth of 60-second commentaries that will begin airing July 6 on Bott radio station KLCV (88.5 FM) in Lincoln. The broadcast area of the station is pretty extensive, using transmitters in Omaha, Fremont, Columbus, York, and a couple more to reach as far as Tekemah, Sabetha (Kansas), Clarinda (Iowa) and so on.
The Vital Signs commentaries were also given a terrific time slot in KLCV’s morning drive time -- just before Adrian Roger’s “Love Worth Finding” at 7:59. They will air every weekday. The program will also be available on KLCV’s online broadcast (http://tunein.com/radio/Bott-Radio-Network-885-s33691/ ). And, on the Vital Signs website, blog, and Facebook page, you will be able to find them in both audio and print versions.
As I’ve mentioned earlier about other items, we encourage you to pray for the effectiveness of this outreach. Please pray too for God’s provision for the added expense that returning to radio will require of our tightly-stretched resources. And, of course, any extra financial help you or your church could bring our way would be a wonderful, timely, and much treasured blessing.
Well, that’s about it for this letter. Short? Yes. But I hope it’s still big on encouragement and challenge. And a short letter will allow me a little more time to get things done before we pack up our “When Swing Was King” gear and head to the hills.
As always, thank you very much for your support of Vital Signs Ministries and our ongoing efforts to “strengthen the things that remain” and “occupy until Jesus comes.”
And, hallelujah…He is coming!